My Goals For 2020 –
In my looking back post I shared some of the highs and lows of the last decade. It was important to me to share the lows as sometimes we only see the rosy parts of peoples lives, it’s not often we share the shit times online. There were lots of things I wish I had achieved in the last decade but I’m really pleased with what I did achieve. This got me thinking about what I would like to achieve this year and as its a new decade what I’d like to achieve over the next ten years. Im a fairly driven person and like to achieve goals I set myself, sometimes just jotting them down helps me to stay on track for the thing I wish to accomplish.
I’ve been taking my time putting this post together, I wanted to set some personal and blog goals. Things that can easily be achieved, with a little work but I don’t believe in setting goals that are unrealistic as you only set yourself up to fail. These are things I’m striving for this year and will roll them over to next year if I don’t accomplish them all this year. After all I’m in it for the long haul.
Apologies in advance this is a hefty post. Hopefully it’s makes for perfect Sunday morning reading in bed kind of post, maybe grab a cuppa tea and settle in those bed covers as you might be here a while.
Personal Goals –
- Get a job – its nearly been four months and my work permit should be here any day now *fingers crossed* A bit of context for those who don’t know – I left my job back in London when we moved to the US for my husbands job. I had to apply for a work permit and could only do this once in the stats, I’m unable to work until this permit arrives. It’s been hard living off one salary and I’m so ready to be earning again. My cv and portfolio are up to date and I’m itching to get back into working and earning again, which leads me nicely onto my next goal.
- Better with money – for 2020 I want to get my finances in order. Pay off that last bit fo debt, start a savings account and have a buffer to fall back on incase of emergencies. Just generally be better with my spending, not buy into such frivolous things and truly take my time over purchased and what I spend my money on.
- Finish furnishing the new flat – we love our new pad and its getting there but we still need a couple bits for the living room and then the bedroom is still in need of bedside tables, lamps, chest of draws or some sort of storage and some personality. We’re thinking a pink neon and plenty of pictures and art on the walls. I can’t wait to get started.
- Self care – we have access to a gym in the complex where we live in. Now I’ve never been a gym goer. I get embarrassed and very self-conscious at the gym, like people will judge me or even laugh at me. Honestly isn’t it annoying what our brains tell us sometime, like anyone is paying attention or even cares what I’m doing. Recently I’ve been feeling sluggish and not happy with my appearance and thought it was about time I did something about it. I figure even if I only manage 30 mins on the treadmill that’s 30 mins more than I would usually do. Well recently I’ve found some new motivation to go to the gym, to me just entering the gym is an achievement, let alone sticking it out and trying out different machines. Yesterday I did my longest work out and tried 3 different exercise machines. I was a sweaty mess after but very proud of myself. I’ve given myself the weekend off and time to wash my gym kit and dare I say it, actually looking forward to Mondays session. Along side this I’m looking to eat healthy again, get back on my slimming world journey but this time I’ll be using my book and doing it at home. I also want to look after my skin more, while we were home for Christmas my skin was clearest its been in a long time and, this might be an over share but I was on my period too. Since we’ve come back to LA my skin is bad again. I’m drinking plenty of water, using my skin care and trying to look after it. Fingers crossed I find the perfect balance soon as it really dose drag me down.
- Join a club & make more friends in LA – I’ve got a couple of friends but would love to grow my friendship circle. I find the older I get the harder it is to make new friends, I’m so lucky with my friends back home, the support network my girls give me is unreal and I’d love to have that here. I think this will come when I start working but in the meantime I’m looking to join a sewing club and maybe some sort of arts class. I’d love to make some friends with similar interests to me. If you have any ideas on how to make friends as an adult or even live in Los Angeles and wanna hang out, hit me up!
- Be even more creative – I’d like to start making my own clothes again, do more drawing and generally up my creativity. I’m at my happiest when I’m creating and have so many ideas for dresses that I want to get making. I really loved doing inktober and plan on doing it again this year. This also ties in perfectly with my next goal.
- Sell my illustration prints – I’m looking into selling my prints, I’m thinking about using a site that are able to professionally print and post my illustrations for me. I think this is the best option for me without investing in a pricy printer. Soon as I have this set up I’ll share all the deets with y’all. In the mean time, if you have any ideas of illustrations you would like to buy send them my way, I am more than happy to do custom and have new ideas of things to draw.
Blog Goals –
- Be consistent – by posting twice a week, this is something that I’ve always tried to do, sometimes I’m great at sticking to it and others I’m not. I guess I get waves of creativity and sometimes I’m just not feeling it. Towards the end of 2019 I’ve really been enjoying posting content more regularly and each time I hit publish I gain a new follower or two, this has really helped keep me on track, knowing people are enjoying what I’m producing. It spurs me on to create more and better with each post.
- Push creatively – One of my favourite parts of blogging is editing the photographs, I love choosing which order they should sit in and how I should layer them. I want to push my content boundaries even further and create a magazine like style to my posts. I also want to share more lifestyle and travel content. I also think I should start taking more of my own photographs and not to rely on Dave to take them. This will enable me to create my own content photos and to post more regularly. We’re planning another road trip and a visit to Joshua Tree for my birthday, this time I’d like to style up multiple looks and really take advantage of the beautiful scenery to create Pinterest worthy images. As well as big editorial shoots I want to write about relatable topics and share more, making this space more personal. If you have any thoughts on the type of content you’d like to see on this site, please do let me know.
- Incorporate illustrations into posts – This sort of ties into the above goal but as I mentioned earlier, I’m at my happiest when I’m illustrating. I’ve been slowly incorporating black & white line drawings into style posts and I feel this is something that I can make unique to me and I want to explore further this year and find new ways to add them. I will continue to do solely illustration posts too and think there a great spin on the usual what’s in my bag or wish list posts, plus I enjoy creating those too.
- Instagram – Work on building up my Instagram, I want to create short videos for IGTV & up my Insta Stories. I did dabble with YouTube but I’m just not sure I’m cut out for it. I get incredibly embarrassed when people watch my videos in front of me, I don’t know why, it just cringes me out. Which really isn’t a great start. I also get very frustrated that I’m not good at it, I find it incredibly difficult to think of video ideas, angles to shoot them and in general make the story line for each video. I have more ideas for smaller short videos I can share quickly on stories, this is why I think I will concentrate my time creating these and if I get good and enjoy them maybe I’ll go back to YouTube, who knows. Also need to post more regularly and not get in my own head too much and just post the damn photo, think less about what will get likes and more of what makes me happy.
If you’ve made it this far, I applaud you! That was a hefty one. I also want to say thank you to everyone who reads and follows my blog or instagram, it really means the world to me and pushes me to carry on and create even more content. Thank you!
Photos by Dave Cox